SUTHERLAND was established in 1991 by father and son Gordon and Craig Sutherland. From its humble beginnings in Tygervalley (Western Cape) the structural engineering practice initially focused on private property developer clients in the Western Cape only.
After Gordon’s untimely passing away in early 1997 Craig led the growth of the small practice into a multi-disciplinary national practice offering Structural, Civil, Mechanical (HVAC, Wet Services and Fire) and Electrical Engineering Services. Today the practice is represented in Cape Town (head office), Johannesburg and Durban (branch offices).
The company’s philosophy is based on four principals, i.e.
- To provide superior engineering input into optimizing the structural, civil, mechanical and electrical engineering aspects of projects.
- To always be innovative and proactive, contributing in a broader sense throughout the feasibility, planning, procurement and construction stages to ensure well thought-out, carefully planned and effectively managed projects.
- To remain technologically on the cutting edge so as to offer our clients the very latest, most cost effective and accurate design solutions available.
- To provide personal, focused, hands on attention to all our clients
Our memberships and affiliations
The company and/or individual members hold membership of the following institutions:
• Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA)
• South African Institute of Steel Construction (SAISC)
• Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA)
• South African Institute of Civil Engineers (SAICE)
• Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA)
• Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (SA Founder Member) (CTBUH)
• South African Property Owners Association (SAPOA)
• American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc. (ASHRAE)
• South African Institute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE)
SUTHERLAND'S divisions are rated as follows under the Construction Sector Charter (BEP) Codes of Good Practice:
Structural & Civil: Level 4
Mechanical: Level 3
Electrical: Level 2